Archived Fire Damage Blog Posts
Eliminating Smoke And Odors In Your Home After A Fire
We can examine the extent of the destruction and take the right steps to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Fires can happen at any time, and the most common culprits are cooking and heating equipment. Residual damage such as fire odor, smoke, soot, and ash always happens after a fire. Some water damage also commonly occurs while extinguishing fires. All homes contain different materials that burn and create unique cleaning and restoration challenges.
To restore your Cleveland home after fire damage, you need to take care of smoke, fire, and water damage. Our SERVPRO Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technicians (FSRTs) have experience in addressing these issues. Smoke and odors can emanate from burned wood or paper and melted plastics. Smoke damage typically falls into 4 categories:
• Dry smoke – Usually results from fast-burning and high-temperature fires.
• Wet smoke – Results from smoldering or low heat fires. The smoke from a wet fire has a smeary, sticky texture, and a pungent odor.
• Fuel oil soot smoke – It results from furnace smoke returns, which cause oily soot.
• Protein smoke – Fires that burn plants, food, or other organic matter emit this smoke. It discolors varnishes and paints and has a pungent scent.
Smoke can penetrate walls and other surfaces quickly and drift through air ducts. Smoke odor can remain in furniture and clothing if it not deodorized properly. Smoke also penetrates cabinets and drawers, meaning that if you do not clean up your house properly, the odor can continue to re-occur for long periods.
Smoke can also ruin delicate works of art such as sculptures and paintings. The same acid that damages wood and metals can discolor the paint on canvas and the stone that makes up sculptures. When this occurs, the beauty of an art piece diminishes, and its monetary value reduces. We can work with a curator to restore ruined artwork.
Our fire damage restoration process is proven and thorough. It includes finding the source of the fire to determine the type of smoke and odors present in a home. Our technicians also determine if any areas of a house are wet because of firefighting efforts. We extract the water using shop vacs and dry the affected areas using air moving and dehumidifying equipment. We also remove any charred contents that could seal in smoke and smells like burned wood and insulation.
We can clean affected surfaces to eradicate the soils or soot particles. We perform several cleaning actions based on the affected surface and type of smoke particles present. Our technicians often perform mechanical action before other cleaning actions. Mechanical action is useful for pre-cleaning excess, non-greasy residues from surfaces before applying solvent-based or water-based cleaning products. Our SERVPRO technicians also treat affected surfaces for smoke scents using dry solvent deodorizers and thermal fogging equipment.
To deal with the aftermath of a fire in your home, call SERVPRO of The North Coast at (216) 221-3333 to assist you. We can examine the extent of the destruction and take the right steps to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Stages of a Fire
Call SERVPRO of The North Coast at 216-221-3333 if you experience an unexpected fire
A fire in your home or business never something you expect to experience. Which is why it is important to know the 4 stages of a fire to keep you safe.
Incipient: This first stage begins when heat, oxygen and a fuel source combine, having a chemical reaction resulting in a fire. It is also known as “ignition”. There is usually a small fire, which often goes out on its own, before the following stages are reached. During this stage, recognizing a fire so early is your best chance at suppression or escape.
Growth: This stage is where the structure’s fire load and oxygen are used as fuel for the fire. During the growth stage, there are multiple factors that affect the fire including where the fire started, what combustibles are nearby, ceiling height and the potential for “thermal layering”. This is stage is when a deadly “flashover” can occur’ potentially trapping, injuring, or killing firefighters.
Fully Developed: When the growth stage has reached its maximum and all nearby combustible materials have been ignited, the fire is considered fully developed. This is the hottest stage of a fire and the most dangerous for anyone trapped within.
Decay: The decay stage is the longest stage of a fire; it is characterized by a significant decrease in oxygen or fuel, putting an end to the fire. There are two common dangers during this stage. First, the existence of non-flaming combustibles that can potentially start a new fire if they are not fully extinguished. Second, there is a danger of a backdraft when oxygen is reintroduced to a volatile, confined space.
Specialized Fire Damage Services
SERVPRO of The North Coast boarded this home after a fire.
Along with providing structural cleaning, contents cleaning, and deodorization in the Northern Ohio area after a residential or commercial fire, SERVPRO of The North Coast also offers additional specialized services to our customers:
One of the top priorities after a fire loss is to secure your property and belongings until work can begin. SERVPRO of The North Coast offers board-up services for windows, doors, and other exposed structural areas to prevent intrusion by both water and unauthorized persons.
Inventory, Pack-Out and Storage
As the clean up and restoration process begins, our SERVPRO of The North Coast technicians take inventory of the contents in your home or business. As the contents are sorted, they will be categorized as salvageable, and processed to be cleaned, or unsalvageable, and documented as such for insurance purposes. Our professional SERVPRO Team can pack-out and store any unaffected materials as needed as well. Our SERVPRO Professionals are trained to properly inventory, move out and control the contents from the structure during the cleaning, restoration, and deodorization process.
Document Drying and Restoration
The SERVPRO Document Restoration Team offers a range of services to restore your damaged documents, including drying, cleaning/disinfecting, re-jacketing, digitizing, and deodorization. Depending on your specific needs, and utilizing industry leading techniques and state-of-the-art technology, SERVPRO’s restoration professionals will help you recover paper goods, no matter the size of the loss.
Serving Cleveland and surrounding areas, SERVPRO of The North Coast is Here to Help with all your fire damage needs. Our professional team will help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Preventing Grease Fires In Your Kitchen
Call our SERVPRO Team for your fire restoration needs!
Whether you are cooking in a restaurant or in your own home, a grease fire can quickly become a big disaster. Grease fires can present themselves as a difficult issue since they are notorious for being difficult to put out.
The first reaction to a fire is to pour water on it, which for grease fires, can actually spread the fire and make it worse!! Follow the correct steps below on putting out a grease fire.
How do I put out a Grease Fire?
- Turn off the heat. Make sure to not pick up the pan. Picking up the pan can cause the fire to quickly spread to you or spill onto other surfaces in the kitchen.
- Put a lid on the pan to cut off oxygen to the fire. Once it has sufficiently cooled down, you will be to move and clean it.
- If the fire gets out of hand, make sure to call 911 to get assistance right away from the Cleveland Fire Department.
- NEVER pour water on an active grease fire or fan the fire. Both of these actions will only spread the fire.
- Do NOT fan the fire with a dry or wet cloth, it can make it worse and spread the fire.
- If all else fails, use a fire extinguisher to put out the flame.
How to Prevent A Grease Fire
- Never leave your cooking unattended, always keep an eye on any pots or pans.
- Make sure that you have a sufficiently sized lid for all of your cooking ware.
- Heat the oils in your pans slowly, don't put your stove on the highest setting right off the bat.
- Turn the heat off if you think your pans are getting too hot.
Due to the nature of a grease fire, it is highly recommended that you seek out the help of a professional like SERVPRO of The North Coast for fire restoration help. In addition to cleaning up any damage such as burned materials, soot, or grease, a professional can help your kitchen rid itself of the smoke scent.
Our SERVPRO of The North Coast Team has the knowledge and decades of experience to help you quickly and effectively repair damage from a grease fire.
Soot Webs Not Spider Webs
Here is an example of soot tags. You can see how closely they resemble spider webs.
As fire damage specialists, we see a lot of fire damaged residential homes and commercial properties. The damage can either be extensive or very minimal. One of the most common visible instances of fire damage are soot webs, the technical term for them are "Soot Tags". They look exactly like spider webs. Rest assured, you did not have magical "fire spiders" that created these cobwebs in your home.
Soot Tags form in areas of low circulation when petroleum/synthetic based sources burn. During a fire the heat of the fire moves into colder areas since the air seeks to create equilibrium. The soot then rides in the air with the heat particles that follow the air into those colder areas with low circulation and are able to concentrate. Since that soot is a product of combustion the particles themselves are charged which makes it quite easy for them to create long chains of soot or soot tags. So while it looks like a lot of soot got stuck on pre-existing spider webs it is actually a whole new structure.
If you notice that you have soot tags in your home or business after a recent fire, do not try to clean it up yourself. Any time you try to clean soot without the proper chemicals, tools and experience, you’ll likely cause further damage in your home. That's why our SERVPRO of The North Coast Team is here to help, we are the fire damage restoration specialists at your service 24-7!
Condominium Fires In Cleveland
After you and your family are safe and the fire fighters leave, contact our SERVPRO Team for fire damage remediation and restoration services.
It is never a pleasant experience when a fire starts inside your Cleveland condominium. Fires not only threaten the safety of you and your family but are costly to repair as well. The heat, flames, and smoke produced by fire many times cause extensive damage to your building.
Whether the fire is small or large, it is a smart move to let the professionals come in and assess the situation. SERVPRO's fire damage experts are IICRC certified and have experience with different types of scenarios.
Both the heat and smoke created by a blaze cause different types of damage to your condo. Flames burn contents and building materials inside the building. Smoke spreads throughout the structure leaving behind soot and foul odors. Our professional crews at SERVPRO get taught how to mitigate fire damage by putting each case into a category based on the severity of the damage.
In fire damage situations, there are three main types of severity. Putting each damage scenario into a certain level of severity helps our specialists know what types of methods to use when mitigating the problem. The three levels are minor, medium and major fire damage.
In minor fire damage situations, smoke residues only affect individual rooms of the building that are near the source. The amount of soot left behind from the smoke is minimal. Very few areas get re-painted, and only some minor items get replaced. Most of the mitigation process involves wet and dry cleaning of the ceiling, walls, and other surfaces.
In medium fire damage cases, the amount of smoke residues is moderate and more areas need wet cleaning. The areas that need to be re-painted and items that require replacement increase. Most of the time with medium fire damage contents inside the home get cleaned on site, but there is heat damage to building materials.
In major fire damage scenarios, there is a lot of heat and flame damage at the fire's source, and structural charring is even possible. In these cases, emergency procedures such as boarding up the exterior of the building and detailed cleaning of the structure possibly takes place. The building gets filled with smoke damage and foul odors, and usually, our crews must pack out the house and clean the contents offsite.
No matter how severe the damage in your condo is, hiring professionals like SERVPRO of The North Coast always gets you the best results. Our Team can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (216) 221-3333!
Restoring Your Personal Belongings After A Fire
After a recent fire, soot covered every surface in this home. Our SERVPRO Team cleaned each item by hand, restoring all of the belongings.
If having a fire happen in your home isn't detrimental enough, there is still the aftermath of cleanup that has to be addressed. Fires not only affect the home but also all of the items inside your home. Here at SERVPRO of The North Coast, we understand this process can be difficult and we are dedicated to making it go as smooth and painless as possible.
With fire comes soot and ash which in turn may engulf some or all of your personal belongings including sentimental items. We always go into each job with the mindset that we would rather restore than have you replace your beloved belongings. We have many different cleaning methods that we use to restore your most valuable of items. These methods include...
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
When special care is needed our SERVPRO Team will be there.
Cleaning Smoked Damaged Homes
Here is an example of soot covering the entirety of this room due to a fire.
What goes into a Fire Cleaning and Restoration Project?
Projects vary based on a variety of factors such as:
- Size and scope of the damage
- Source of the fire
- Odor level
- Type of materials affected
To get a good idea of what is necessary for your particular situation it is best to give us a call and schedule a free inspection and estimate to determine what processes are best suited to restore your home. Typically many of our fire restoration projects include:
- Board Up
- Dry cleaning with a sponge or HEPA vacuum
- Wet cleaning with solutions or enzymes
- Ozone treatment for odor
- Thermal for odor
- Content pack-out for off site cleaning (more severe fire damage situation)
- Duct cleaning
Our SERVPRO of The North Coast Team deals with fires all year around and we are ready to help you take back your home after fire. Make sure you review these fire damage tips and give us a call today for an inspection today at 216-221-3333!
What To Expect After A Fire
Our SERVPRO Team can help you after a fire!
A fire damage event is difficult for the home or business owner on many levels, and the restoration process that follows can be intimidating. Each fire event is a little different, and each will require a unique solution, although the overall general process stays the same. The steps we are listing below will illustrate the SERVPRO process for the average fire damage emergency.
- Emergency Contact. Your restoration process begins the moment that you contact us. Our representative will ask you questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us to respond with the appropriate equipment and resources for your particular situation.
- Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment. Our team will carefully inspect and test all the adjoining rooms of your home or business to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is vital to us, allowing us to develop the perfect plan of action for your property.
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service. Fire damage will often compromise the condition of windows, walls, and roofing. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, we will board up missing windows and walls, and place tarps on damaged areas of the roof.
- Water Removal and Drying. If water damage is present, the water removal process will begin almost immediately, with the goal of removing the majority of the water. Our team will then employ dehumidifiers and air movers to remove any remaining water and complete the drying process.
- Removal of Smoke and Soot From All Surfaces. SERVPRO uses specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and all other surfaces.
- Cleaning and Sanitizing. We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. Our team uses a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to the condition they were in before the fire. We are also trained to remove lingering odors, using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
- Restoration. This is the final step - getting your home or business back to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, installing new carpet, or painting surfaces, or it may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various rooms or areas.
Here at SERVPRO of The North Coast, we are here to help if your Cleveland home or business suffers from damage due to a fire.
Handling Fire Damage In Your Cleveland Home
Our SERVPRO Team has the knowledge and tools to restore your home after a fire.
You may think that your Cleveland home is not vulnerable to a fire, but evidence shows that unexpected home fires can happen very quickly and when you least expect it. A kitchen grease fire or an electrical short can damage your home in just a few minutes. Very often, the fire burns in only one section of the house, but the smoke travels farther out than where the source of the fire is. However, even the smallest of fires require professional attention.
Here at SERVPRO of The North Coast, we specialize in fire restoration services for Cleveland homeowners. We coordinate the repairs and continually communicate with your insurance adjusters to make your restoration process as easy as possible. Our SERVPRO Team is available around the clock to minimize the time in which your home and its contents continue to absorb soot, smoke, and any extinguishing agents used to put out the fire.
Call Your Local Fire Restoration Team to Restore Your Home in Cleveland
We recommend you let our SERVPRO team take a look at the damage in your home. It is best to have our knowledgeable team use the latest technology available in our field to inspect your home. Using tools such as hygrometers and infrared camera imagery, we can detect where water might be hiding in places such as subfloors and within wall cavities. Similarly, we inspect your ventilation system and follow the smoke path to determine how to mitigate the odor it left behind. This thorough assessment focuses on protecting you from developing an environment where your home or health could be compromised. Among the actions we can take to remove traces of the fire we include the following:
- Use thermal foggers or hydroxyl generators to combat the pungent smell
- Discard items, particularly porous textiles that might pose a danger to your health. Upholstery and carpets are especially vulnerable to being damaged beyond repair
- Application of industrial-strength cleaning agents to remove stains and soot throughout your home
Power Strip Safety
If you experience an electrical fire from a power strip, call SERVPRO of The North Coast for help.
With the endless amount of accessories, appliances, and tools that are becoming more and more common in your household, it can sure be a hassle figuring out where to plug all of them in at. Many homeowners find themselves always swapping plugs or using devices such as a power strip. While a power strip can help you out in many situations, it is the mistake of relying on them too much that causes problems. Follow these tips below to ensure your safety when using a power strip in your home.
- Use only light load appliances on power strips. That includes computers, lamps, clock, etc.
- Ensure that the power strip you purchase has an internal circuit breaker. This is a very important safety measure that is designed to prevent property loss and risks of fire.
- Use power strips sparingly. They aren't designed to maintain a load for an extended period of time, and can easily overheat quickly if used to often.
- DON'T plug a power strip into another power strip (term is called "daisy chaining"). Doing this will short out appliances and highly increase the risk of an electrical mishap.
- DON'T use power strips in moist or potentially moist areas. DON'T put them in kitchens, utility rooms or basements.
- DON'T continue to use a power strip if it feels hot.
- NEVER cover, staple, tack or nail a power strip to anything. Covering can smother the strip, and provide ample flammable material in the event of a power strip failure. Puncturing can harm the cords, making room for dangerous situations.
Our SERVPRO Team Is Here To Help After A Fire
Call our SERVPRO of The North Coast Team today!
Our SERVPRO Team knows that even the smallest of fires can create large amounts of smoke damage, and that damage isn’t just confined to the area of the fire. SERVPRO of The North Coast understands that when your business or commercial property has been affected by a fire, you need help fast. When you call our SERVPRO Team, our highly trained professionals will be on site quickly to assess the damage and begin the process of getting your building up and running.
As small business owners, we understand that every hour you spend cleaning up after a fire means lost revenue and productivity. Our goal is to clean and restore your structure and contents quickly and efficiently so you can get back to doing what your business and building does best.
If your business or commercial property has been impacted by fire or smoke damage, call SERVPRO of The North Coast anytime, day or night at 216-221-3333. We are here to help you 24-7. Our SERVPRO Team makes your building "Like it never even happened.”
Candles Can Start A Fire In Your Cleveland Home
Call our SERVPRO Team today if you experience an unexpected candle fire!
We all love candles. They are pretty to look at and get your home smelling wonderful. But unfortunately we need to remember that a candle is an open flame and can easily catch its surroundings on fire causing your beloved home to go up in flames.
First, lets take a look at the candle fire facts from the National Fire Protection Association to see just how common a candle fire is.
- There are 21 candle fires reported per day on average.
- Candles cause 2% of reported home fires, 3% of home deaths, 6% of home fire injuries, and 4% of the direct property damage in house fires.
- 37% of home candle fires start in the bedroom.
- 11% of the candle fires were a result of falling asleep while a candle was still burning.
- 60% of candle fires occurred when a flammable item was too close to the candle.
Wow, those facts are chilling! Now that we know how common candle fires are, let's take a look at how we can prevent candle fires in our homes.
- Blow out all candles before leaving the room or going to bed. Avoid having candles in the bedroom or other area where family members may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 1 foot away from flammable items in the home.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won't tip over easily.
- Make sure the surface your candles are on is sturdy and uncluttered.
- Be careful when lighting candles. Be sure to keep your hair and loose clothing away from the open flame.
- Never burn a candle all of the way down. Be sure to put it out before too close to the bottom of the container.
- Never use a candle in the home if there is oxygen being used.
- Never leave your children alone in the room with a burning candle.
Don't wait to call a professional when a candle unexpectedly causes a fire in your home. SERVPRO of The North Coast is here to help with your fire restoration needs.
Small Fire With Even Larger Damages
Even though the fire in this office building was small, it caused a thick layer of soot throughout the building.
Fire accidents in the home happen quite frequently. There are many things that cause house fires including cooking accidents, which is the most common, lightning strikes, candles, smoking mishaps, heaters, fireplaces, electrical issues, dryer vents, and other household appliances.
Did you know? In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire. Within minutes it creates thick black smoke engulfing the house in flames. That is why it is important to have a fire extinguisher on hand and if possible extinguish the flames. Every second counts.
In most cases, you can put out the flames quickly and the damages are minimal. But even a small fire can causes larger amounts of damage to the rest of your home. Often times, it is only one room that is completely charred but the damages go beyond that room. Smoke from a fire can fill your whole house and circulate throughout several rooms. Smoke damage occurs when the acidic ash or chemicals react with metal, plastic, or wood. Smoke can permeate carpet and other soft surfaces such as fabrics, drapes, and clothing. Our team always tries to restore your belongings before replacing them becomes an option.
SERVPRO of The North Coast is your go to company that is well equipped to handle any size fire damage. Our SERVPRO Team follows IICRC Standards when restoring your home. Our trained professional state of the art equipment to return your home to it's pre-fire damage condition "Like it never even happened."
Dryer Vents Can Be A Fire Hazard
If you experience a fire caused by a dryer, call SERVPRO of North Coast.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are nearly 17,000 reported home clothes dryer fires every year. The fires caused by dryers results in around 51 deaths, 380 injuries and $236 million in property loss. The leading cause of these fires is failure to clean dryer vents. Follow these tips below to prevent a potential dryer fire in your home.
Signs Of A Clogged Dryer
- A musty odor on the clothes following the drying cycle.
- Clothes unusually seeming too hot to touch.
- Excessive heat in the room where the washer and dryer are located.
- The dryer vent flap doesn't open properly when using the dryer.
- Debris on the outside dryer vent opening.
- Large amount of lint build up in the lint trap after each cycle.
- Odor from dryer sheets used in each cycle.
How To Prevent A Dryer Fire
- Read the manufacturers' instructions and warning before installing. Have your dryer installed by a knowledgeable professional and ensure that the correct electrical plugs an outlets are used.
- Clean out the dryer lint filter before and after each load of laundry.
- Clean the filter with a nylon brush at least once every 6 months or more if it becomes clogged.
- Clean the lint out of the vent pipe every 3 months.
- Occasionally check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure it is not damaged.
- Put a cover on outside wall dampers.
- Make sure the outdoor vent cover is open when the dryer is on.
Christmas Tree Fire Safety
Call SERVPRO of North Coast if you experience a fire during this holiday season.
This is the time of the year that people wait all year for. The time of the year where they can finally start decorating for the Christmas holiday. A live Christmas tree is a common choice for most homeowners. But did you know that Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars, annually, in property damage? When putting up a live tree in your home, the combination of the tree's dryness, electrical malfunction with lights and poorly located heating sources can make for a deadly combination. Follow these tips below to prevent a potential fire this holiday season.
- When shopping for a tree, look for a fresh tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck off and don't break off easily from its branches. Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire.
- Always place your tree away from any heating sources like fireplaces, candles, radiators, heat vents or lights.
- Keep the base of the tree filled with water to avoid it drying out.
- Make sure your indoor and outdoor lights have been tested by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety. Throw away any damaged lights you may uncover.
- Make sure the lights your are using on the exterior of your house are labeled suitable for exterior placement. Plug exterior lighting into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
- Keep all of your candles away from the tree, furniture and decor.
- Don't forget to turn all the lights off on the Christmas tree.
Cleaning Soot In Your Home
Call our SERVPRO of North Coast for your soot removal needs.
As the temperature continues to drop, we often looks for ways to keep warm inside our homes. Whether that be to light candles, have a fire in the fireplace, or use a space heater. Unfortunately these heath sources can cause a fire if not monitored correctly. A fire then produces soot, a black residue that is left behind when various materials are burnt such as plastics, synthetics, foam and wood. Soot can have damaging effects on your home. While it is advised to leave it to the professionals to clean up soot, you can make the cleanup process easier by following these safety guidelines.
- During the first inspection of a soot damaged room, refrain from touching anything. This prevents soot to from getting in areas that were unaffected.
- The best method for soot cleanup is by using dry-cleaning sponge or chemical dry sponge. If you attempt a wet method, the soot will smear, leaving behind a hideous stain.
- Always wear protective gear, such as masks, gloves, and long clothing that covers the skin.
- To minimize the inhalation of soot particles, keep the room properly ventilated.
- For easier cleanup, clear the room of unnecessary debris.
- Use proper cleaning methods when removing soot from the walls. Most homeowners think soap and water will do the trick but improper cleaning can cause the damage to spread or get worse.
Leave it to the professionals. Call our SERVPRO of North Coast team for fire damage cleaning and restoration.
Two minutes to escape
In a typical home fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Escape planning and practice can help you make the most of the time you have,giving everyone enough time to get out.
?Do you have working smoke alarms in your home?
?Do you have a smoke alarm in every sleeping room and outside each sleeping area? .
? Is there a smoke alarm on each level of the home, including the basement?
? Do you test your smoke alarms at least once a month? (Have a grown-up push the test button to check if the batteries work.)
? Do you know the sound of your smoke alarms?
? How old are your smoke alarms? (If they’re more than 10 years old, you need new ones.)
? Does your family have a home fire escape plan?
? Do you know two ways out of each room in your home?
? Do you know what to do when you hear your smoke alarm? (Get out and stay out.)
? Are all the exits in your home clear of trash and toys?
? Has your family picked a meeting place outside the home where everyone can go when they’ve escaped a fire?
? Does everyone at home know how to call the fire department once they are outside?
? Do you and all family members practice your escape plan at least twice a year?
Damaged exterior from fire
Who Will Rebuild?
After the devastation a fire can cause, in most cases, there will be some element of rebuilding that will need to take place. This fire was in a residential unit that will need completely gutted. After the fire department extinguishes the blaze, they must often poke holes to check for hot spots in the walls to make sure the fire is completely out with no chance or risk of flare up. This causes total devastation to the space and hiring a contractor is often needed.
We Are Your Solution!
SERVPRO of the North Coast s is a fully licensed and proven General Contractor that can help you fully restore your space. We can assign a project manager to your claim to walk you through a scene like this to completion to make sure that your space is brought back to life.
Call Today for A Free Estimate
Reach Us At: (216) 221-3333
Contents are Often Overlook in a Fire
Cleaning contents after a fire.
Contents are often easily overlooked in a fire. Most homeowners or tenants, are worried about the damage and devastation that a fire calls to the property. They’re worried about their couch, they are worried about their vehicle and their wallet, but it’s easy to forget many of the little things that can add up and cost a lot of money to a customer. Here at SERVPRO of the North Coast, we make every effort possible to restore every item an article in your home or property that has been damaged or effected by a fire. This includes all of your electronics, DVD collections, clothes, shoes and all other personal items and keepsakes that can be restored. We know that our customers are in an uncomfortable situation with any type of loss, so that’s where SERVPRO of the North Coast comes in to deal help you deal with the devastation of your loss. We are #HereToHelp
Please call us 24/7 (216) 221-3333
Common Causes of Home Fire
A fire in a bedroom in a local home.
Understanding the leading causes of home fires and what you can do to prevent them will keep your family safer. There is research by the National Safety Council that home fires have decreased over the years and most fires are preventable with some knowledge and care to minimize the risks.
According to the National Fire Protection Association these are the leading causes of home fires and preventable measures:
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires Keep combustibles away from heat source Keep pot handles inward
- Keep children and pets away from the cooking area
- Do not leave the kitchen while cooking on the stove top
- Heating equipment Flammable materials should be kept at a distance
- Watch portable heaters and never go to bed leaving them on
- Keep children three feet away from heating equipment or fireplace
- Keep equipment clean
- Electrical distribution and lighting equipment
- Electrical cords should be in good condition, check for frayed wires
- Check your light fixtures for the correct wattage and do not use bulbs that exceed the recommended wattage.
- Do not run cords under carpet
- Always have electrical work done by a professional
- Smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths
- Smoking materials should be keep out of the reach the children
- Always us an ashtray and don’t discard butts or ashes where they could encounter materials that can burn
- Do not smoke indoors. Death results from fires starting in family room, and bedrooms
Following these simple recommendations can help reduce the chance of a fire in your home. If you do experience a fire in your home, call your local fire department immediately.
SERVPRO of the North Coast is here to help, call us at – 216-221-3333.
Fire Prevention Week
Fire Prevention Week - 10/7/18-10/13/18
The National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) fire prevention week theme is “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware-fire can happen anywhere”.
- Look for places fire can start
- Listen for the sound of the smoke alarm
- Learn two ways out of each room
SERVPRO cares about its customers and hopes that you take the time to educate yourself, your family and your employees to take mind in preventing fires and what to do in the case of a fire. Fires can come from an array of different sources, so many in fact that it is almost impossible to list them all. Fire can start from human error, lit candles, cigarette smoking, appliances, electrical, fireworks, cooking and so on. They can range from small in scale (minimal (if any) structure and soot damage) to large in scale (major structural and soot damage and even water damage). They occur in homes, businesses, residential complexes, vehicles, recreation vehicles, boats, etc.
Should you or your business have a loss, contact SERVPRO @ 216-221-3333 and let our professionals help you. But, also, please make sure to be on the look out for potential hazards and keep yourself and those around well informed and educated in fire prevention and safety. There is much information on the NFPA website that can help. Go to www.nfpa.org for additional information/resources.
Fire Damage Move Out
Due to the severity of this kitchen fire, personal property had to be packed and moved out from the home while repairs were made.
Fire and smoke damage can cause minor damage to severe damage. Depending on the severity of your loss the contents of your home or business may need to be moved out and stored at an offsite facility while the repairs are being made. Should this be necessary, SERVPRO is here to come in and provide those services for you. Belongings will be evaluated to ensure restoration is possible and photos will be taken. We take a complete and thorough inventory of your personal belongings by room and box any items necessary. Once the inventory is complete everything is moved to our secure facility. At our facility your belongings are carefully cleaned and deodorized. We store everything until your home or business has been restored. Once you are ready we coordinate with you for the move back of the items. Move outs can provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on site damage
SERVPRO of the North Coast has trained employees to take special care of your belongings. We can help you through the difficult time of having to leave your home or business. Call us today at 216-221-3333 and we will assist you as best as possible and ease your mind through the process.
Commercial Building Fire Restoration
Ron Pack and Jim Jordan discussing the best and most efficient way to clean and deodorize to get the Cinema showing films again.
An electrical fire in a cinema in Cleveland, Ohio caused minor smoke, soot and fire extinguisher dust damage. Ceiling tiles, walls, theater chairs, curtains and flooring were affected. Cleaning and deodorization of the structure were performed, and ceiling tiles were replaced. The cinema was ready for showing films within a few days. We are here to respond quickly to your loss. SERVPRO offers a wide variety of commercial services to include but not limited to:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Odor Removal
- Storm and major events
- Bio Hazard Clean up
- Disaster Recovery Team
- Carpet Cleaning
Big or small, SERVPRO is here for our commercial clients to help restore their businesses and have them operating as quickly and seamlessly as possible. We are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The next time a disaster hits your business, call SERVPRO of the North Coast at 216-221-3333 and let us get you returned to full operations.
Residential Fire Clean Up
Fire started out the back of the house.
Fire/Smoke damage can happen in the blink an eye, such as at this home in Cleveland, Ohio. Fire damage cannot only cause physical damage (where items need to be replaced), but it can also cause cosmetic damage (where cleaning and possible painting are necessary) and odor damage. Cleaning after a fire can be extensive work, and it’s not always easy to determine the correct cleaning agents to use or the correct method of cleaning. Different types of soot and different materials require special knowledge in the cleaning & restoration portion of a fire loss. SERVPRO has their own line of cleaning agents to properly address the various types of soot and odor damage. We carefully inspect each loss to determine the correct method of cleaning and deodorizing necessary.
SERVPRO of The North Coast is here for all of your fire/smoke damage cleaning needs. Call us at 216-221-3333 and allow us to help you in getting your home back to “Like it never even happened.”