Recent Fire Damage Posts
Dryer Vents Can Be A Fire Hazard
If you experience a fire caused by a dryer, call SERVPRO of North Coast.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are nearly 17,000 reported home clothes dryer fires every year. The fires caused by dryers results in around 51 deaths, 380 injuries and $236 million in property loss. The leading cause of these fires is failure to clean dryer vents. Follow these tips below to prevent a potential dryer fire in your home.
Signs Of A Clogged Dryer
- A musty odor on the clothes following the drying cycle.
- Clothes unusually seeming too hot to touch.
- Excessive heat in the room where the washer and dryer are located.
- The dryer vent flap doesn't open properly when using the dryer.
- Debris on the outside dryer vent opening.
- Large amount of lint build up in the lint trap after each cycle.
- Odor from dryer sheets used in each cycle.
How To Prevent A Dryer Fire
- Read the manufacturers' instructions and warning before installing. Have your dryer installed by a knowledgeable professional and ensure that the correct electrical plugs an outlets are used.
- Clean out the dryer lint filter before and after each load of laundry.
- Clean the filter with a nylon brush at least once every 6 months or more if it becomes clogged.
- Clean the lint out of the vent pipe every 3 months.
- Occasionally check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure it is not damaged.
- Put a cover on outside wall dampers.
- Make sure the outdoor vent cover is open when the dryer is on.
Christmas Tree Fire Safety
Call SERVPRO of North Coast if you experience a fire during this holiday season.
This is the time of the year that people wait all year for. The time of the year where they can finally start decorating for the Christmas holiday. A live Christmas tree is a common choice for most homeowners. But did you know that Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars, annually, in property damage? When putting up a live tree in your home, the combination of the tree's dryness, electrical malfunction with lights and poorly located heating sources can make for a deadly combination. Follow these tips below to prevent a potential fire this holiday season.
- When shopping for a tree, look for a fresh tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck off and don't break off easily from its branches. Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire.
- Always place your tree away from any heating sources like fireplaces, candles, radiators, heat vents or lights.
- Keep the base of the tree filled with water to avoid it drying out.
- Make sure your indoor and outdoor lights have been tested by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety. Throw away any damaged lights you may uncover.
- Make sure the lights your are using on the exterior of your house are labeled suitable for exterior placement. Plug exterior lighting into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
- Keep all of your candles away from the tree, furniture and decor.
- Don't forget to turn all the lights off on the Christmas tree.
Cleaning Soot In Your Home
Call our SERVPRO of North Coast for your soot removal needs.
As the temperature continues to drop, we often looks for ways to keep warm inside our homes. Whether that be to light candles, have a fire in the fireplace, or use a space heater. Unfortunately these heath sources can cause a fire if not monitored correctly. A fire then produces soot, a black residue that is left behind when various materials are burnt such as plastics, synthetics, foam and wood. Soot can have damaging effects on your home. While it is advised to leave it to the professionals to clean up soot, you can make the cleanup process easier by following these safety guidelines.
- During the first inspection of a soot damaged room, refrain from touching anything. This prevents soot to from getting in areas that were unaffected.
- The best method for soot cleanup is by using dry-cleaning sponge or chemical dry sponge. If you attempt a wet method, the soot will smear, leaving behind a hideous stain.
- Always wear protective gear, such as masks, gloves, and long clothing that covers the skin.
- To minimize the inhalation of soot particles, keep the room properly ventilated.
- For easier cleanup, clear the room of unnecessary debris.
- Use proper cleaning methods when removing soot from the walls. Most homeowners think soap and water will do the trick but improper cleaning can cause the damage to spread or get worse.
Leave it to the professionals. Call our SERVPRO of North Coast team for fire damage cleaning and restoration.
Two minutes to escape
In a typical home fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Escape planning and practice can help you make the most of the time you have,giving everyone enough time to get out.
?Do you have working smoke alarms in your home?
?Do you have a smoke alarm in every sleeping room and outside each sleeping area? .
? Is there a smoke alarm on each level of the home, including the basement?
? Do you test your smoke alarms at least once a month? (Have a grown-up push the test button to check if the batteries work.)
? Do you know the sound of your smoke alarms?
? How old are your smoke alarms? (If they’re more than 10 years old, you need new ones.)
? Does your family have a home fire escape plan?
? Do you know two ways out of each room in your home?
? Do you know what to do when you hear your smoke alarm? (Get out and stay out.)
? Are all the exits in your home clear of trash and toys?
? Has your family picked a meeting place outside the home where everyone can go when they’ve escaped a fire?
? Does everyone at home know how to call the fire department once they are outside?
? Do you and all family members practice your escape plan at least twice a year?
Damaged exterior from fire
Who Will Rebuild?
After the devastation a fire can cause, in most cases, there will be some element of rebuilding that will need to take place. This fire was in a residential unit that will need completely gutted. After the fire department extinguishes the blaze, they must often poke holes to check for hot spots in the walls to make sure the fire is completely out with no chance or risk of flare up. This causes total devastation to the space and hiring a contractor is often needed.
We Are Your Solution!
SERVPRO of the North Coast s is a fully licensed and proven General Contractor that can help you fully restore your space. We can assign a project manager to your claim to walk you through a scene like this to completion to make sure that your space is brought back to life.
Call Today for A Free Estimate
Reach Us At: (216) 221-3333
Contents are Often Overlook in a Fire
Cleaning contents after a fire.
Contents are often easily overlooked in a fire. Most homeowners or tenants, are worried about the damage and devastation that a fire calls to the property. They’re worried about their couch, they are worried about their vehicle and their wallet, but it’s easy to forget many of the little things that can add up and cost a lot of money to a customer. Here at SERVPRO of the North Coast, we make every effort possible to restore every item an article in your home or property that has been damaged or effected by a fire. This includes all of your electronics, DVD collections, clothes, shoes and all other personal items and keepsakes that can be restored. We know that our customers are in an uncomfortable situation with any type of loss, so that’s where SERVPRO of the North Coast comes in to deal help you deal with the devastation of your loss. We are #HereToHelp
Please call us 24/7 (216) 221-3333
Common Causes of Home Fire
A fire in a bedroom in a local home.
Understanding the leading causes of home fires and what you can do to prevent them will keep your family safer. There is research by the National Safety Council that home fires have decreased over the years and most fires are preventable with some knowledge and care to minimize the risks.
According to the National Fire Protection Association these are the leading causes of home fires and preventable measures:
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires Keep combustibles away from heat source Keep pot handles inward
- Keep children and pets away from the cooking area
- Do not leave the kitchen while cooking on the stove top
- Heating equipment Flammable materials should be kept at a distance
- Watch portable heaters and never go to bed leaving them on
- Keep children three feet away from heating equipment or fireplace
- Keep equipment clean
- Electrical distribution and lighting equipment
- Electrical cords should be in good condition, check for frayed wires
- Check your light fixtures for the correct wattage and do not use bulbs that exceed the recommended wattage.
- Do not run cords under carpet
- Always have electrical work done by a professional
- Smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths
- Smoking materials should be keep out of the reach the children
- Always us an ashtray and don’t discard butts or ashes where they could encounter materials that can burn
- Do not smoke indoors. Death results from fires starting in family room, and bedrooms
Following these simple recommendations can help reduce the chance of a fire in your home. If you do experience a fire in your home, call your local fire department immediately.
SERVPRO of the North Coast is here to help, call us at – 216-221-3333.
Fire Prevention Week
Fire Prevention Week - 10/7/18-10/13/18
The National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) fire prevention week theme is “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware-fire can happen anywhere”.
- Look for places fire can start
- Listen for the sound of the smoke alarm
- Learn two ways out of each room
SERVPRO cares about its customers and hopes that you take the time to educate yourself, your family and your employees to take mind in preventing fires and what to do in the case of a fire. Fires can come from an array of different sources, so many in fact that it is almost impossible to list them all. Fire can start from human error, lit candles, cigarette smoking, appliances, electrical, fireworks, cooking and so on. They can range from small in scale (minimal (if any) structure and soot damage) to large in scale (major structural and soot damage and even water damage). They occur in homes, businesses, residential complexes, vehicles, recreation vehicles, boats, etc.
Should you or your business have a loss, contact SERVPRO @ 216-221-3333 and let our professionals help you. But, also, please make sure to be on the look out for potential hazards and keep yourself and those around well informed and educated in fire prevention and safety. There is much information on the NFPA website that can help. Go to www.nfpa.org for additional information/resources.
Fire Damage Move Out
Due to the severity of this kitchen fire, personal property had to be packed and moved out from the home while repairs were made.
Fire and smoke damage can cause minor damage to severe damage. Depending on the severity of your loss the contents of your home or business may need to be moved out and stored at an offsite facility while the repairs are being made. Should this be necessary, SERVPRO is here to come in and provide those services for you. Belongings will be evaluated to ensure restoration is possible and photos will be taken. We take a complete and thorough inventory of your personal belongings by room and box any items necessary. Once the inventory is complete everything is moved to our secure facility. At our facility your belongings are carefully cleaned and deodorized. We store everything until your home or business has been restored. Once you are ready we coordinate with you for the move back of the items. Move outs can provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on site damage
SERVPRO of the North Coast has trained employees to take special care of your belongings. We can help you through the difficult time of having to leave your home or business. Call us today at 216-221-3333 and we will assist you as best as possible and ease your mind through the process.
Commercial Building Fire Restoration
Ron Pack and Jim Jordan discussing the best and most efficient way to clean and deodorize to get the Cinema showing films again.
An electrical fire in a cinema in Cleveland, Ohio caused minor smoke, soot and fire extinguisher dust damage. Ceiling tiles, walls, theater chairs, curtains and flooring were affected. Cleaning and deodorization of the structure were performed, and ceiling tiles were replaced. The cinema was ready for showing films within a few days. We are here to respond quickly to your loss. SERVPRO offers a wide variety of commercial services to include but not limited to:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Odor Removal
- Storm and major events
- Bio Hazard Clean up
- Disaster Recovery Team
- Carpet Cleaning
Big or small, SERVPRO is here for our commercial clients to help restore their businesses and have them operating as quickly and seamlessly as possible. We are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The next time a disaster hits your business, call SERVPRO of the North Coast at 216-221-3333 and let us get you returned to full operations.
Residential Fire Clean Up
Fire started out the back of the house.
Fire/Smoke damage can happen in the blink an eye, such as at this home in Cleveland, Ohio. Fire damage cannot only cause physical damage (where items need to be replaced), but it can also cause cosmetic damage (where cleaning and possible painting are necessary) and odor damage. Cleaning after a fire can be extensive work, and it’s not always easy to determine the correct cleaning agents to use or the correct method of cleaning. Different types of soot and different materials require special knowledge in the cleaning & restoration portion of a fire loss. SERVPRO has their own line of cleaning agents to properly address the various types of soot and odor damage. We carefully inspect each loss to determine the correct method of cleaning and deodorizing necessary.
SERVPRO of The North Coast is here for all of your fire/smoke damage cleaning needs. Call us at 216-221-3333 and allow us to help you in getting your home back to “Like it never even happened.”