Prevent Spring Water Damage with These Tips from SERVPRO of The North Coast
Spring is just two short weeks away. After a cold, long winter, we’re all excited for spring and the sunny days of summer in Northeast Ohio.
However, warm weather does bring April Showers. There are a few thing we can do to avail the potential of water damage. Taking time to check the following maintenance areas you will lessen your chance of water damage to your home.
- Cleaning your gutters and making sure they are in good repair goes a long way in preventing water intrusion in your home.
- Each spring, SERVPRO receives many calls about water damage caused by outdoor spigots that are turned on. If you turn them off and drain the water supply to your outdoor spigots in the winter, you can have a damaged pipe due to the heavy freeze. When you turn your spigot on, make sure there are no leaks. If there are leaks, turn off the spigot immediately before any damage occurs and have your pipe repaired.
- Spring is a good time to inspect your roof. Ice damming is common in the winter months and can damage your shingles, flashing, eves, and overhangs.
- Check that your landscaping slopes away from your home. If it slopes towards your home, so will the water from the spring storms.
- Outdoor drains can get clogged with debris and leaves, so make sure they are free of debris and draining properly.
- Your sump pump will work over time, so make sure it’s working properly. If it’s old, this would be a good time to replace it before it fails.
Enjoy the warm weather. If you do experience an unexpected water damage, call SERVPRO of The North Coast at 216-221-3333. We are here to help!