Preparing Your Home For Winter
As winter starts to set in, it is important to take preventative measures to protect your home during the cold months. Winterizing your home can make a huge difference in how comfortable your home is and could also save you a chunk of money on energy bills. Follow these tips:
- Clean your gutters and downspouts.
- Replace the furnace filter.
- Close any vents that may have been opened for the warm weather.
- Disconnect all hoses from the outside faucets and shut off the water.
- Keep extra water and canned food in storage for emergencies.
- Test your heating system.
- Check the attic, walls, and basement for sufficient insulation.
- Feel around the electrical outlets and switch plates for cold air. Add insulation where it is necessary.
- Check around doors and windows for gaps and potential areas where warm air can escape.
- Apply weather-stripping or caulk around problem draft areas.
- Have a professional roofing contractor inspect your roof for damages or loose gutters.
- Have a professional inspect your furnace to make sure it is working properly.
- Clean your chimney.
- Test the flue of the fireplace for a tight seal when closed.