Preparing Your Commercial Property For Winter
As winter approaches, it is smart to start thinking about how to prepare your property for winter to minimize the potential for damage. Follow these tips below:
- Inspect and repair the roof. To prevent roof leaks, seal around vents and other protrusions.
- Remove all obstructions from gutters and downspouts, make sure they are properly secured.
- Drain and winterize exterior water lines to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Clear debris from drains and ensure that water is draining away from your property.
- Inspect trees and remove unsafe branches near the building and walkway.
- Inspect furnaces and check the filter.
- Prohibit or minimize the use of space heaters. Assure a safe location when operating.
- Inspect wood burning stoves and chimneys for safety use.
- Protect interior pipes from freezing.
- Leave faucets dripping during intense cold.
- Test all smoke, fire and carbon monoxide detectors.
Fire Protection Systems
- Protect all sprinkler pipes from freezing if they are exposed to temperatures below 40 degrees.
- Have antifreeze systems tested annually for adequate concentration.
- Ensure that the heat in the rise room is kept at least 40 degrees minimum.
- Ensure that the sprinkler system is routinely serviced and operational.
- Fire pump rooms must be kept at 40 degrees minimum.
- Have your generator ready for use.
If you experience an unexpected disaster in your commercial building, call our team at SERVPRO of North Coast.