How to Get Rid of Black Mold
Black mold is the most common variety found in households. It grows in damp spaces such as bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Black mold is toxic and prolonged exposure could lead to symptoms such as chronic coughing, fatigue, nose and throat pain, headaches, and eye irritation. It’s important to get rid of black mold as soon as possible.
As you gather supplies for your DIY mold removal, there will be a lot of options for cleaners. Commercial mold-killing solutions are effective at killing the fungus down to the root. For a more natural choice, use vinegar. The mild acidity makes it safer to work with, but you still get an effective clean. No matter what product you select, your safety equipment should include eye protection, gloves, long arm and long leg clothing, and ventilators.
Be sure to never mix cleaning solutions such as ammonia and bleach; this can cause harmful vapors. Regardless of your choice of cleaning solution, you should always use fans and open windows to keep your work area ventilated. Spray on your cleaning solution and let sit as indicated on your product label. After you have finished your mold removal, put all the waste in a separate garbage bag and immediately take it outside to avoid the risk of mold spores becoming airborne inside your home again.
Having mold in your house is completely normal and nothing to be alarmed over. Since mold remediation is about returning the mold count to a baseline level (mold can never be fully eradicated), keep an eye on the spots you cleaned and repeat as necessary.
SERVPRO of The North Coast offers mold remediation services. If you are experiencing a major mold issue, call us today.